Welcome to Koi Forum. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    What do you run before the anoxic filter? Is it your sieve and uv?

From what I've read, you certainly have enough biocenosis baskets set up for koi numbers. I'm sure someone more qualified to answer your questions would advise better.
    On my anoxic line i have .....ultrasieve III > heater > 110w uv > anoxic > return.
    Its a small job to take the bead off and divert the flow to the anoxic so that would be two 20k pumps supplying the anoxic.....just a little nervous
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brian1962 View Post
    I'm thinking of taking my bead off in the spring and going to go sole anoxic but am a little worried if it will cope with my pond......what do you guys in the know think?
    i suppose i could just try it by just turning it off but i want to put the extra flow through the anoxic, i'm a little nervous
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

The best thing to do is just turn it off. The best time is before you start feeding after winter. Switch it over, put the extra flow through the Anoxic and Bingo

Normally I don't feed too much as the temperatures rise, the reason for this is to give the filter time to become more active although this is less critical with an Anoxic filter. The second reason is that if we feed the Koi too much too early then this encourages egg production or fat in the case of the males.

If you follow this then you will have a seamless changeover

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    Hi Brian,

The best thing to do is just turn it off. The best time is before you start feeding after winter. Switch it over, put the extra flow through the Anoxic and Bingo

Normally I don't feed too much as the temperatures rise, the reason for this is to give the filter time to become more active although this is less critical with an Anoxic filter. The second reason is that if we feed the Koi too much too early then this encourages egg production or fat in the case of the males.

If you follow this then you will have a seamless changeover
    Thanks for the advice Dave, think im going to do it, as atm the anoxic is fighting the bead and the bead is producing nitrate.
    A few concerns though i will loose my flow from the underwater returns will this cause a prob? second is do i have enough baskets (33) ?
    Brian

If you turn the bead off will the water still be as clear with just the anoxic filter on. Will the anoxic filter act like a settlement chamber for the finer particles that get through the sieve and are they eaten by the bacteria in the filter. Just interested really. I think with your returns you will either have to cap them as near to the pond as possible or just open the underwater return once or twice a day so that no bad bacteria develops in them. Thats what i do with mine.

Brian,

I would think 33 should be fine. You can closely monitor your water parameters as you increase feeding so that you know what's happening. I presume you have enough place to add a few more baskets if required.

Davey.......good question about the water clarity, this i don't know and one of the reasons i'm a little nervous!!
    Brian

Dave C yes i have room for more baskets but they would need to be stacked
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by daveyp View Post
    If you turn the bead off will the water still be as clear with just the anoxic filter on. Will the anoxic filter act like a settlement chamber for the finer particles that get through the sieve and are they eaten by the bacteria in the filter. Just interested really. I think with your returns you will either have to cap them as near to the pond as possible or just open the underwater return once or twice a day so that no bad bacteria develops in them. Thats what i do with mine.
    I will work it so there is a small flow through the underwater returns so no bad bacteria will accumulate.
    Brian

Davey.......good question about the water clarity, this i don't know and one of the reasons i'm a little nervous!!
    Brian
    The filter tends to act also as a settlement chamber so it traps a lot of fines which get cleaned out with the twice yearly maintenance As in a settlement chamber the fines just turn into mulm with no bad effects

I was wondering about the lack of mid/low water returns with an anoxic filter and how this affects sweeping the pond floor clean?

I guess if you have 2x20k pumps running full whack, the pull the bottom drain should have (maybe with an aerated bottom drain?) would be sufficient in achieving a similar result?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    The filter tends to act also as a settlement chamber so it traps a lot of fines which get cleaned out with the twice yearly maintenance As in a settlement chamber the fines just turn into mulm with no bad effects
    So are the anoxic filters best suited for a waterfall style return as in Brian's design?

I have been trying to think of a way to include an airlift return from an anoxic filter. I guess if you create a weir from the end that overflows in to another chamber that is much deeper to accommodate the air lifts this could work. That just leaves me troubled how to fit a sieve before the anoxic as it would need to gravity feed the anoxic rather than pump fed. Having not seen a sieve in action I don't know what configurations are possible with what sieve

Just thinking out aloud so hopefully it makes sense.

Maybe another option is to use a large vortex with a reverse sieve???

There are a few combinations possible, both sieves and Anoxic filters can be gravity or pump fed and the same for the outputs.

I have a sieve gravity fed from the bottom drain, the output is pumped to the Anoxic filter and then pumped back to the pond via UV and heating lines.

This set up runs well but consumes too much electricity

My plans for next year are to replace the sieve with a drum and then airlift from drum into the Anoxic filter and gravity return into pond

On my anoxic line i have .....ultrasieve III > heater > 110w uv > anoxic > return.
    Its a small job to take the bead off and divert the flow to the anoxic so that would be two 20k pumps supplying the anoxic.....just a little nervous
    Brian
    Brian,

I will be setting up my anoxic filter spring next year and will be in the same position as you, if and when I should turn off the bead. So I can understand your nervousness. Can you divert the majority of the bead filter line direct to the anoxic filter and have a low flow going to the bead which will keep the bead filter live and would allow you to bring it back online in the unlikely event you had an anoxic filter problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Big_al View Post
    Brian,

I will be setting up my anoxic filter spring next year and will be in the same position as you, if and when I should turn off the bead. So I can understand your nervousness. Can you divert the majority of the bead filter line direct to the anoxic filter and have a low flow going to the bead which will keep the bead filter live and would allow you to bring it back online in the unlikely event you had an anoxic filter problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I think a bead needs a certain amount of flow to operate properly and would not function on a trickle also it would still need cleaning with full flow for backwash.......just too much hassle tbh, its going to have to be either on/off.
    Brian

So are the anoxic filters best suited for a waterfall style return as in Brian's design?
    Flash,

Kevin's original design was for a pump fed anoxic pond with a waterfall return. As I understand it, pump fed filters are common in the US.

Here in the UK, the preference is for gravity fed filters with pumped returns so I redrew Kevin's original design to make it more in line with our preferences.

The first diagram below is how Kevin's original design worked, the second is my modifications. (Ignore the figure numbers, they're from an article I wrote about anoxic filtration)

Once you have the gravity fed option, you can add in a sieve, UV, heater or any of the extra features you could normally add into a gravity fed system.

My layout.

Brian

Thanks manky, had seen your illustrations, and that's what got me started on trying to work out how best to incorporate an airlift system.

In Brian's set up he has chosen a gravity return and has lost the mid water returns. I guess if you want to keep mid water returns you need a two pump set up?

I f i put an air lift chamber in then I can get rid of one pump.

What I'm trying to figure out in my head, is it possible to get rid of the pump after the sieve and only run the air lift some how?

I'm currently set up as pump fed to filter and return by gravity via a smaller pool. I have not seen any other set up in the flesh!

Oh, and hope you don't mind Brian posting all this on your thread Just seemed the best place to discuss possibilities

I don't mind at all
    Brian

whiskey1944
    Hi Brian
    looking at your diagram ....i take it you`ve 40,000 litres passing through your baskets and returning to pond.

whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey1944 View Post
    Hi Brian
    looking at your diagram ....i take it you`ve 40,000 litres passing through your baskets and returning to pond.

whiskey
    No m8 atm i have 20k but if i was to remove the bead then i would have 40k but thats not happening till spring.
    Brian

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast